Written by: Catherine Morrison based on the story The Pied Piper of Hamelin
Directed by Catherine Morrison Choreography by Allyson Riley Musical Direction by Nicola Davies
When: CHORAL AUDITIONS: Saturday, December 11 at 2:30–to–4:30pm
ACTING AND DANCE AUDITIONS: Monday, December 13 Children at 7:00pm –to–7:30pm; Adults from 7:30 pm –to– 9:30pm; All COVID protocols to be observed
Metro Theatre, 1370 SW Marine Drive, Vancouver
“The Pied Piper” is a family musical based on the Fairy story “The Pied Piper of Hamelin ”. Inundated with a rat infestation the people don’t know where to turn. A stranger turns up – the Pied Piper. He says he can rid the town of rats for a fee. The Mayor ( a duplicitous soul ) talks the townspeople into taking the Pied Piper’s help and then reneging on their promise of payment. In retaliation the Pied Piper lures the children of the Village away . Two honest men in the Village track him down, negotiate with a promise of honest payment and the children are returned. The Mayor is run out of town and all is happy. The townspeople have started to learn to think for themselves rather than relying on politicians with their own agenda! Songs and dances abound in this show of an hour and a half.
Show Run Dates:
Thursday to Saturday, March 18 to March 27,2022 Sunday matinees are March 20 and March 27,2022
Cast and Production Teams
Male or female; has 2 solos; aged 30 – 60; strong singing voice needed.
2 Guards to Mayor
Ages 25 – 55, very funny, not too bright; have a song with Mayor and Assistant and chorus songs.
Male, aged 25- 45; conscience of the village; educated; chorus songs.
Male; sidekick to Robert; leading dancer. And chorus songs.
Male; 40 – 65. has a song with 3 other actors ; is pompous, and crafty.
Male; 40 – 65; a bit crooked; funny; has one song with 3 other actors.
Female; aged 30 – 55, leading acting role and doubles as a Villager.
Gretchen / Hilda / Heidi
3 Women of the Village – a variety of ages; chorus so singing and dancing primarily.
Hans / Fritz / Thomas
3 Men of the Village; a variety of ages; chorus so singing and dancing primarily.
Ages 7 – 14, singing, dancing, and a little dialogue.
January until opening night; 2 week nights and one weekend afternoon
Saturday, December 11 at 2:30–to–4:30pm
Please bring a Musical theatre selection that shows your range; and bring music in binder with music double-sided. Choose a verse and chorus to sing. Masks required; socially distanced on the stage.
ACTING AND DANCE AUDITIONS:
Monday, December 13 – Children at 7:00pm –to–7:30pm; Adults from 7:30 pm –to– 9:30pm; Please bring character shoes (or other comfortable dance shoes) and tap shoes if you have them. Also wear comfortable clothing. Masks required; socially distanced on the stage.
Note: This is a NON-EQUITY production.
All roles at Metro Theatre, are Volunteer positions. People will be seen on a first come/first served basis, but be prepared that you may have to sit around and wait as you may be needed to read opposite someone else who is auditioning.
Ethno-cultural casting statement: We encourage submissions from artists with a broad range of backgrounds including, but not limited to: race, ethnicity, indigeneity, gender, and sexuality. We encourage anyone to audition for any role as we will be casting on who is best for the role.
Resume and Headshots:
○ Please note any conflicts with auditions/callbacks or the run at this time. ○ Please let us know if there is a specific part you are interested in.
and submitting it along with the online Application Form
• You can SUBMIT your interest using the PRINT out the Fillable Audition Form and bring it and your headshot and resume with you to the audition.
• Auditions will be cold readings from the script; the director will choose which scenes the group will read. Drop in, no appointment necessary. Open to all ethnicities.
• Auditions are for NON-EQUITY productions. All roles at Metro Theatre, are Volunteer positions. People will be seen on a first come/first served basis, but be prepared that you may have to wait after being seen as you may be needed to read opposite someone else who is auditioning.
• If you are cast, you will be required to become a Member of Metro Theatre and your 12-month Membership Fee of $20 will be collected at the first read-through.
• It is expected that actors must be capable of playing the age specified, be capable of speaking with expected accents, be able to utilize musical and dancing skills, when the part requires those skills.
• While experience is preferable it is not essential.
Metro Theatre is collecting personal information about you.
If you are cast in this show, your contact information will be provided to other members of the company.
Unless you ask us not to, you will be added to our mailing list; the information you provide will be made available to directors and other Metro shows for audition and casting purposes.
You may request to be removed from our mailing list at any time.